Friday, May 24, 2013

Thoughts on Berlin

       On a packed bus ride from Tegel Airport to my hotel I remember thinking, "Wow, this is definitely not what I pictured on my 10 hour journey to Germany." I pictured the possibility of passing Brandenburg Gate, the Berliner Dome, or the TV Tower during my ride. Instead, I saw graffiti, graffiti and more graffiti.  






      Over the past week, I have figured out that Berlin isn't the typical cookie-cutter city. Businesses open at 11 a.m., art is everywhere and Germans aren't as talkative on public transportation. It is relatively cheap, very large and has a good mixture of history and modern innovation. Men proudly wear pink, dogs walk around without leashes while healing next to their owners, the streets are fairly quiet and most speak English almost as good as they speak German. 



Berlin, so far, hasn't been anything like I originally expected. I think to fully "get Berlin" it requires an open mind and relaxed expectations. Berlin has definitely exceeded my expatiations, I will never look at the world in the same way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment